Property Standards Authority
The Property Standards Authority (PSA) division is responsible for administering civil code through education and enforcement to the Town’s homeowners, renters and businesses whom are in violation of general occupancy rules govern by the Town’s Ordinance and the 2018 International Property Maintenance Code. Our PSA division conducts exterior residential and business inspections, providing notices to the homeowners and business owners with an opportunity to improve their property in a timely manner.
Property Standards Authority Notices
Notices from Property Standards Authority are meant to provide homeowners with an opportunity to improve their property in a timely manner. These are reminders for issues that are covered under the Town’s Code, however, attention needs to be paid to these notices, because they can turn into future citations. For more information regarding the Property Standards Division contact the Town at 301-420-3000.
Property Standards in Capitol Heights
- Fences: Fences must be constructed of approved materials and must be kept in good repair. Use of materials such as barbed wire, razor wire and electrified fencing are prohibited within the Town.
- Derelict/Inoperable Vehicles: A derelict/inoperable vehicle is one that does not display a current license tag and/or is not equipped with all parts required to legally and safely operate on public streets and/or cannot be driven under its own power. Derelict/inoperable vehicles cannot be stored except in a fully enclosed, legally constructed building.
- Open Storage: Open storage is prohibited. Generally, any equipment, materials or furnishings that would ordinarily not be used outdoors may not be stored outdoors. For example, you may not keep indoor furniture, household appliances, auto parts or building materials outside.
- Minimum Housing Standards: All wood, siding, shingles, roof covering, railings, walls, ceilings, porches, doors, windows, screens and any other exterior parts of residential structures must be maintained in weather-tight, rodent proof, sound condition and in good repair. Interior walls, ceilings, floors, doors and hardware must be in sound condition and in good repair. Electrical, heating and plumbing fixtures shall be installed in accordance with codes and maintained in good and safe repair.
- Yard Maintenance Standards: Yard maintenance pertains to any untended growth in excess of 12 inches in height. Please remember to remove any dead limb and branches from the property and avoid the over growth on weeds.
- Junk, Trash and Debris: Junk, trash and debris are prohibited from being left in the yard and must be disposed of properly. This includes, but is not limited to, junk, auto parts, appliances, furniture, building materials, tires, trash such as discarded paper, cardboard, plastics, etc., and debris such as tree trimmings and fallen limbs.
- For Bulk Trash pickup on Wednesdays call Bates Trucking at 301-773-2069.
- Building Numbers: All new and existing buildings must have approved address numbers placed in a position so as to be plainly visible from the street or road fronting the property. For residential buildings the numbers shall be at least three inches tall and one-half inch wide. For commercial buildings, the numbers must be at least six inches tall. This requirement is primarily made for your safety; if an emergency vehicle cannot identify the correct property it could delay their response.