Neighborhood Services Department - 401 Capitol Heights Blvd, Capitol Heights, MD 20743
The Town Council formed the Neighborhood Services Department in 2009 to meet the needs of the community in terms of infrastructure and appearance. Our Special Projects Team (SPT) conducts town-wide cleanup efforts, which will consist of removing overgrowth, mowing, edging, and trimming of all right a ways, and replacing street and traffic signs.
The Town has adopted the 2009 International Property Maintenance Code in 2012 with Ordinance 2012-002. The has also modified the fees and fines for Code Enforcement violations in January 2013 with Ordinance 2012-006.
Our Code Enforcement Division conducts exterior residential and business inspections. Below are Common Code Enforcement Issues for the Town of Capitol Heights, MD
Fences: Fences must be constructed of approved materials and must be kept in good repair. Use of materials such as barbed wire, razor wire and electrified fencing are prohibited within the Town.
Derelict/Inoperable Vehicles: A derelict/inoperable vehicle is one that does not display a current license tag and/or is not equipped with all parts required to legally and safely operate on public streets and/or cannot be driven under its own power. Derelict/inoperable vehicles cannot be stored except in a fully enclosed, legally constructed building.
Open Storage: Open storage is prohibited. Generally, any equipment, materials or furnishings that would ordinarily not be used outdoors may not be stored outdoors. For example, you may not keep indoor furniture, household appliances, auto parts or building materials outside.
Minimum Housing Standards: All wood, siding, shingles, roof covering, railings, walls, ceilings, porches, doors, windows, screens and any other exterior parts of residential structures must be maintained in weather-tight, rodent proof, sound condition and in good repair. Interior walls, ceilings, floors, doors and hardware must be in sound condition and in good repair. Electrical, heating and plumbing fixtures shall be installed in accordance with codes and maintained in good and safe repair.
Yard Maintenance Standards: Yard maintenance pertains to any untended growth in excess of 12 inches in height. Please remember to remove any dead limb and branches from the property and avoid the over growth on weeds.
For Bulk Trash pickup on Wednesdays call Bates Trucking at (301) 773-2069.
Junk, Trash & Debris: Junk, trash and debris are prohibited from being left in the yard and must be disposed of properly. This includes, but is not limited to, junk, auto parts, appliances, furniture, building materials, tires, trash such as discarded paper, cardboard, plastics, etc., and debris such as tree trimmings and fallen limbs.
Building Numbers: All new and existing buildings must have approved address numbers placed in a position so as to be plainly visible from the street or road fronting the property. For residential buildings the numbers shall be at least three inches tall and one-half inch wide. For commercial buildings, the numbers must be at least six inches tall. This requirement is primarily made for your safety; if an emergency vehicle cannot identify the correct property it could delay their response.
Did You Know?
- The most common violations are abandoned/inoperable vehicles, overgrowth, trash and debris, and open storage.
- The Town can clean and clear vacant lots after the required legal notification is made to the owner. The Town will assess the actual cost/expense plus an administrative fee against the property imposing a special assessment lien.
- Town staff can attend neighborhood association meetings to review and explain code requirements. If you would like staff to attend one of your meetings, please contact Code Enforcement at (301) 420-3000.
- Building, roofing, plumbing, mechanical, gas, and electrical repairs/alterations require a permit. Contact the Town at (301) 336-0226 for more information.
- Bates Trucking is the Town contractor for garbage and bulk pick-up days are Wednesday. You must call (301) 773-2069 to confirm pickup by noon on Tuesdays.
- Any business located within the Town limits is required to obtain a Town license. Contact the Town Hall at (301) 336-0626 for more information.
- All Rental properties must be licensed. Town Ordinance 2012-003 regulates rental properties. Owners must obtain and Town and County license.
Neighborhood Services Department
401 Capitol Heights Blvd, Capitol Heights MD 20743
Venus Drummond, NSD Manager -
Queenis Hutchins, Code Enforcement Officer –
Barry Wade, Code Enforcement Officer-
Notices from code enforcement are meant to provide homeowners with an opportunity to improve their property in a timely manner. These are reminders for issues that are covered under the Town’s Code, however, attention needs to be paid to these notices, because they can turn into future citations. For more information regarding code enforcement contact the Town at (301)420-3000.
Neighborhood Service Department Community Meetings
Citizens are encouraged to participate in monthly Neighborhood Service Department community meetings at the Town Hall at 7pm on the 3rd Tuesdays of each month. Councilmember Cason serves as the committee chair for our Neighborhood Services Committee..